Serenoa repens 'Cinerea"
Photo courtesy of Gardening in a Minute
(Refresh your screen to see a new image)
WELCOME TO THE INTERNATIONAL PALM SOCIETY WEBSITE - The Internet's comprehensive source of information on palms. This web site includes extensive information on palmhorticulture, online access to over 50 years of articles published in the Palms Journal, and Principes, a gallery of images, links to other sites, links toPalmTalk - the world's most active online forum on all aspects of Palms, and much more.
PALMS JOURNAL - Latest Issue and forthcoming articles (member log in required)
PALMS NEWSLETTER - Click here to read the July 2017 Newsletter (IPS members are emailed the newsletter each month)
2018 BIENNIAL - The next IPS Biennial will be held in Colombia MAY 26- JUNE 3, 2018. Please watch the website and your email for more information and dates. If you are an IPS members and are not receiving emails from us, please send us your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CONSERVATION INITIATIVE - PRESERVING HAWAII'S NATIVE FOREST
ENDOWMENT FUND - The IPS is currently accepting applications for 2018. Each year the IPS awards between $10,000 - $25,000 in grants. Please submit your application now for consideration for the 2018 awards.
The International Palm Society would like to thank all those who have supported this cause.
Click here to see an important video on protecting Hawaii's native forest.
NEW UNIQUE AND ONE-OF-A-KIND ITEMS FOR SALE - Looking for something really unique? Official IPS logo T shirts, hats and lots of other goodies are now available for purchase! Just click here to see the wide range of items - all at very reasonable prices. Check out the 60-year anniversary t- shirts, a limited edition item only available in 2016. Other items include tote bags, mugs, caps, mouse pads and more!
WHERE WERE YOU IN 1956? - IPS members can view the early IPS Bulletins first published in 1956. Click here. (Log in required)
THE IPS celebrated its 60th. anniversary in 2016.
LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT PALMS
Some unusual facts about Palms
- Next to grains like rice wheat oats, barley etc…,palms are the most grown plant in the world for food, fiber and shelter.
- Palms are the Prince of the plant kingdom having the largest seed of any plant - Lodoicea the double coconut weights in at 45 lbs (20 kilo).
- Raffia having the longest leaf - up 80 feet (24 meters).
- Brahea has the longest bloom spike up to 18 feet (5 meters) followed by Jubaea with a trunk diameter of around 4.3 feet (1.3 meters), Ceroxylon reaching heights of 280 feet (85 meters) and Calamus, a vining type palms stretching over 240 feet (73 meters).
- Phoenix canariensis has the most recognized symbol and silhouette of any plant of the world.
- In 1969 petrified palm wood became the official state stone of Texas. It is also the State fossil of Louisiana.
(Limited time only)
Check out our extensive "book store" where you find a wide selection of books on a wide range of subjects pertaining to palms. The books below are being offered at 50% of their regular price. This offer is available for both members and non members.
Palms and Cycads of Thailand
Palm Book of Trinidad and Tobego
Palms of New Caledonia
Click here for the book store
Remember, IPS members also receive a 20% discount on all our other books ordered through the website.
View Current issue of Palms
Our mission statement
The International Palm Society, Inc. is operated solely and exclusively for scientific and/or educational purposes related to the study of palms, their propagation, culture, conservation, care, and development.
About the IPS
The International Palm Society is the largest society of palm enthusiasts in the world. Find the IPS Affiliate most convenient to your location, communicate with other palm growers through PalmTalk, purchase books or advertise palm related products. The IPS is a nonprofit organization established in 1956 and dedicated to the preservation and education about palms of the world.
To enjoy all the features of this web site, we invite you to become an IPS member. Click here to join or renew now. If you are not an IPS member, you are of course still welcome to use and browse this web site. However, until you join, many features of the site will not be available to you.
ONLINE BOOK STORE - From encyclopedias to regionally specific publications, our online bookstore has books to appeal to every palm enthusiast. Books are all reasonably priced and many are unavailable elsewhere. Members receive a 20% discount! Great gift items! Check out the new IPS book store
NEWS - Check out our news page by clicking here. If you are an IPS member, log in and add your news items to this page
BIENNIALS - check out our Biennial pages past and future. The next Biennial will be held in 2018. More details will follow.
Find great deals through this web site. Check out the advertising section where you can link directly to a variety of nurseries and companies selling palms, seeds and other items.
To use this section you must first log in. Your login account number is the number that appears on your Palms cover sheet. Please go to the login section, or click here for more information about logging in or retrieving your account number:
The member section of the web site allows members to:
1. View and update contact information - Email addresses - Please update your profile with your latest email address so that we can send you important announcements and other information by email.
2. View you membership expiration date
3. Renew online faster and more efficiently.
4. Search the membership roster for other members.
5. Access to past copies of Palms journal online. Log in, then click here - or select the online Palms for Members under PUBLICATIONS
ONLINE PALM CLASSIFICATION - The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew has launched a new site that classifies Palms in a Taxon Tree format. This is an excellent source of information. Click here for more information and a direct link.